(the misadventures of an expatriate corporate dropout)

Wednesday, September 18, 2024

ten years later ... Je Regrette Rien {epilogue}

by some awkward coincidence, I stumbled upon a message containing a link to my blog and have spent the day tumbling down the rabbit hole of my french adventure, literally down as in backwards. The best part has been rereading comments and some of those voices that sustained me and improved my mood! I've been surprised to find myself entertained, reminded of things I forgot, and even a little impressed ...

To under commit and maybe someday, overdeliver; I thought I would just post a few lines of updates and improbable conclusions, sans any promises for the future
  • I'm still here! 
  • My shop, The Bohemians, just marked its 15th anniversary in Brantôme.
  • I survived COVID19, the European version
  • I obtained my permis (french driver's license) the old fashioned way... months of studying (in french) for the "code" and a driving test. Both passed at first go, was I proud or what? Plus I added another (improbable) category to my vocabulary. Now, along with building / home renovation and snazzy retail sales pitches, I can add driving and mechanical terminology to my expertise.
  • I passed the french language test at the level necessary for naturalisation
  • I received a 10 year residency permit which allows me to have any type of work in France and finally,
  • I am assembling my dossier for dual citizenship process
  • House renovations continue sort of, in small doses and with miniscule investment resources. I will proudly say that roofs have been updated, one of the costliest and most vital improvements so ... le sigh of relief.
  • I know ... moi, moi, moi right?
It seems that blogging has now been superceded by TikTok. I lurk on TikTok and watch a few American accounts of folks who have either recently moved here or are intending to. I comment here and there, but mostly preen behind the scenes whispering "I did that sans lawyer" or "I knew that" ha! Just think of all I could monetize! but having a lifelong hate relationship with anything involving a camera and my face, I just cannot envision making videos comfortably. Also, I am so non-PC, snarky and impatient that I'm sure it would be a recipe for disaster...

Yes there have been many highs and lows since we last spoke. Far too many to recap in an epilogue. But suffice it to say that Non, Je Ne Regrette Toujours Rien

So for now, that concludes my Ted Talk. thanks so much for coming, I enjoyed the ride.

No comments: