(the misadventures of an expatriate corporate dropout)

Saturday, August 27, 2011

talk about seeing fur fly ... eep!

living in a centuries-old stone house means not a lot of closet space. Okay, basically NO closet space. so you get creative. of course, armoires, chests etc.

but I have also used the stairwell to the third floor attic as a storage space. I rigged up a crossbar and have hung a couple of hanging shoe thingamajigs; as well as using the steps as storage places.

so this morning I am rummaging through the shoes to find some grey boots, grab them and as I am getting ready to close the door I have this impression of something fuzzy and grey brush my hair and shoulder and then I hear a plopping sound.

I look down and see a mouse kind of bellyflopped on a step.

screech. ensuing door slam. minutes of shudders.

no, I didn't reopen the door. why oh why did my cat run away? she had plenty of options here! tempted to get another but in my current state of flux, doesn't seem wise.

anyone willing to stop by and check my cupboard?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Just to clarify...

1). Will there be a nice cup of tea (or, better still, a nice mug of Ricard) waiting for whoever comes to inspect your stairwell?

2). As regards the bellyflopped mouse; did it look as if it might still be alive or was it definitely dead?

3). Does the job entail finding and returning your cat?

All the best

Keith

P.S. Perhaps I watch too many horror films but isn't this just a ploy to get a bunch of student (who really should know better - unless they don't watch many horror films?) to come round so that you can lock them in the cellar and play with their entrails?

P.P.S. I can't remember the name of the horror film where that happened but it was a goodun!

Rosie said...

Our son walked into town - 20 minutes - and back thinking there was something odd about his shoe. To find a mouse curled under his toes when he got back! Be grateful you found it....

Non Je Ne Regrette Rien said...

keith: 1. of course and even other choices! 2. no just sort of stunned but defintely alive, 3. cat's been gone a year so no go on that one! and definitely NO entrails involved in my request.

rosie, lol, was it still alive upon return! ewwww!

Non Je Ne Regrette Rien said...

ok I checked it myself. mouse is gone. real question is where!

Unknown said...

It'll be in your bed - that's where they always hide!

Try not to move around in your sleep tonight; mice tend to only bite if they get frightened.

All the best

Keith

P.S. Hope you get a good night's sleep?

Rosie said...

Yes, still alive and scurried away when he emptied it out of his shoe! None the worse for its/their adventure.