(the misadventures of an expatriate corporate dropout)

Monday, June 1, 2009

Montravel!

I found a really good cave in Perigueux. A few weeks back, I went to one in the centre ville, in search of JM Rhum. I had bought 2 bottles there before, and just cracked the 2nd so it was time to restock.

They were out! but I was directed to another cave on the outskirts of Perigueux in Trelissac. Now THIS was a really great find.

They sell vin du pays (I've read about vdp and how one can just bring a jug/s and fill up on the cheap) ... also loads of wines from all over the country ... and alcohol ... and other stuff.

Plus le monsieur was very helpful, listening to me describe the type of wines I'd like. When I described my favorite white wine, a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, Marlborough region ... crisp, dry, fruity ... NOT sweet ... he directed me to 2 wines he thought I'd like.

I bought a couple of each. Tonight, I opened the first one, a chilled appelation de Montravel ... Chateau Roque-Peyre. It has the description "subtilite, crispness ... 2007".

It isn't exact, but it is quite reminiscent of my favorite and very good. Oh, and cheaper than my favorite, coming in at under 5euros a bottle.

It is the little things in life, my friends.

I can't wait to go back and try the vin du pays. I left with 4 bottles of white and 2 bottles of rhum.... so next time will have to do!

3 comments:

Randal Graves said...

And if the little things are bottles of wine, all the better.

Non Je Ne Regrette Rien said...

rg-yeah, there's only some little things I can appreciate. wine would be one.

francetales.com said...

Trellisac, la ville sportif! I bought my car just past Trelissac in Antoine. I had to go back a few times and the big sign as you enter the town says Trelissac, la ville sportif. What is so sportif about it? I have no idea but it really stuck with me.