(the misadventures of an expatriate corporate dropout)

Sunday, August 2, 2009

tomorrow ...

culminates 4 months of nearly continuous effort to shape an old stone grange housing a forge into an attractive space for a business.

We're opening the doors on The Bohemians tomorrow. Yes, there are last minute details yet to be finished. But I'm doubting a line will form simply because we're setting out a sign and unlocking the door.

But much of the legwork is done. Nearly all of the renovations are complete. Jean-Yves will finish up the electricity tomorrow. Luckily, our big windows let the sun pour in, so lighting won't be an issue. Even though the lights (most of them) were installed Saturday.

But it is clean as a whistle. The inventory is arranged and sorted and priced (thanks Christie for your help!). Friday I managed to locate things one needs in a boutique (like tissue paper and bags and a receipt book and ink pad and little price tags and a cash box and a big mirror and a screen to create a dressing area and ...) I've painted and varnished the screen and arranged it appropriately.

I built a clothing rack for our cool, funky spring wear by La Fiancée du Mekong. I bought some beige twine and created a hanging pole with a piece of bamboo I had. I suspended it from the big beams and voila! I'm only putting out samples of each style and color and then, clients cooperating, I'll assist them in finding their size from our stock. Less cluttered that way.

I have a couple of pieces of furniture awaiting refinishing.

We will be closed Sundays and Wednesdays...in addition to trying to organize life around those days, those are 2 days when buying (vintage furniture, etc.) is best ... Wednesday is market day in Perigueux as well as auction day AND new arrival day for a secret spot I've discovered ... heh heh. Sundays are when vide-greniers are best.

So I'll be getting back to a routine of working (non-building or gardening or other project related) hours through December. I'm also investigating a lead I got for independent work with a realtor. Seems they need an English speaker or 2 for showing properties. Going to check that out.

You see, contrary to what my adoring audience may assume (ha), I don't have an endless supply of income for this adventure. In fact, it is drying up quickly. I need to find ways rectify this ... so while there is no immediate income potential looming, I'm working on creating future streams.

6 comments:

Rosie said...

The very best of luck with your amazing venture. All that hard work has come to fruition. Well done you.

La Framéricaine said...

I only wish I were there to toast with a glass of champagne in hand to the new shop!!! Great work Kim & Jean-Yves and bon chance!!!

jonnifer said...

Kim, it sounds amazing. All your hard work is finally paying off. Je te souhaite une tres bonne ouverture, et bcp de journees prosperes dans le futur !

Stacey said...

Wow, good luck! It all sounds so incredible.

Randal Graves said...

Well look at you, you capitalist American, you.

Non Je Ne Regrette Rien said...

rg-I know, I thought I ran away from the pigs and here I am one...oink, oink!

Stacey~it is like a dream most days. is this really MY life?!

jonnifer~ merci bien !!

laF~slurp! ha...

rosie~ well, thanks for the encouragement, it really means a lot ...