(the misadventures of an expatriate corporate dropout)

Sunday, March 23, 2008

inspired by a sparrow.

The first time I heard Edith Piaf sing, I had never been to France. I had studied french in high school ... and had some romantic vague impression of it. I was at a friend's for dinner and I heard what I can only describe as the sound of warbling to my untrained ear. I had to stop and ponder for a moment before I realized the songstress was singing in French. The song was "La Vie en Rose" ... and I was instantly enchanted. I felt I had been transported to another time and a faraway place.
I wanted to know more about the woman behind the voice. Her songs conveyed longing, courage, pride, hope, playfullness. The more I learned about her trials and tribulations, her steely resolve, the more impressed I became. She overcame tremendous odds in life and inspired the love of her country's citizens.
What a treat it was when "La Môme" was distributed in the theaters. Marion Cotillard embodied the spirit of Edith Piaf and well deserved the Oscar and other awards she was bestowed.

No comments: