(the misadventures of an expatriate corporate dropout)

Friday, April 11, 2008

doggone it.


Travelling with pooches. After my brief encounter with the pet relocation firm which would cost about as much the new kitchen appliances I have my heart set on in France ... I decided to do it myself. Here's what's happened so far.

About one hour on the phone with United and Lufthansa. Making reservations for my dogs. I had to provide their weight, and the exact measurements of their puppy abode. Major airlines have a separate compartment which is pressurized and temperature controlled for carrying such things as living baggage. And that is what my fellas will be. Checked baggage. Apparently this space is limited, thus the need for precise dimensions. Each dog will be about $250, round trip.

Next step. After 4 messages, I make contact with the USDA. My contact seemed irked that she had answered the phone this time. I manage to pry, one by one, precious details re: what must be done.

Futurama caninus. Each dog will be implanted with an EU conforming microchip (15 digit, mind you). These babies have to be special ordered. No word yet on the cost, but hopefully my veterinarian is on the job.

Next, an animal import document, bilingual, completed by a veterinarian. And then submitted to the USDA for certification.

Equipped with this form, rabies certification, microchips implanted ... my precious cargo just might be allowed into la belle France.

For those of you wondering about the return entry, the United States requires an up-to-date rabies vaccination and a non-expired certificate of health. This is a health document completed within 30 days or less from re-entry to the country.

sacrebleu.

No comments: